Thursday, September 22, 2022

Chapter Nine

Harm's, North of Union Station, Washington DC, 1835hrs

"I'm just pulling your leg, Harm…" Lia laughed, her voice mellifluous. "We tied. You agreed, I agreed, so it's a draw…" Harm grinned. That was Lia. She loved to yank his leg a good one. And that's why he liked her…a lot. At least she had never had cause to cut him deeply like Mac did. The words that Mac had used "Oh Harmon Rabb Jr, so righteous, so pure, you've never had a weak moment in your life have you? Oh wait a minute, I forgot, Yeah you have had weak moments! The long lost father, neurotic Annie!" And then the next day, there wasn't an apology; that woman passed off apologies like there was some sort of weakness in admitting that she was in the wrong. Sure I feel strong, Harm thought to himself. And certainly I act bull-headed sometimes, but in the end, I'm just a human like anyone else. I can be hurt emotionally too. I was so close to finding out about where my father was and she used that to hit me right where it hurt.

And now Meg was back. What the hell? He didn't know which way to turn. There was Lia (whom he'd never thought of as anything other than as a sister that he never had until now), Mac (whom he still didn't know what to make of), and now Meg…well, he did have to talk things over with Meg. He had said some cutting things to Meg, a byproduct of how he had been treated by Mac. If he had to work with her, he'd have to smooth things over beforehand. Harm mentally thought over how he had behaved in the office and realized that he'd been a grade A ass to Meg.

"Hey…Harm, you still there?" Lia's voice was curious.

"Yeah, I'm still there…" Harm broke out of his preoccupation just long enough to gamble on a play. "Hey…Lia, I still haven't eaten. There's a restaurant that I've been meaning to check out just south west of where you live. You wanna check it out with me?" He ventured to ask her thinking that just maybe she might say yes.

"OK…counselor, you got me…I'm hungry and I was just thinking about what I was going to cook, but looked in the fridge and forgot that I hadn't done my grocery shopping for the week. So it's either make do with waffles for dinner or accept your offer." She teased gently.

"Well, how about I pick you up in about twenty and we can go down there…and grab a bite to eat?" Harm said, not really knowing why his heart-pace had picked up just a slight bit when she said yes. "That sound good?"

"Twenty minutes, it is…Harm…"

Animal's Apartment, 503-4141 Henderson Road, Arlington, VA 1850hrs.

Maegyn leaned up against Animal as he was at the range throwing together something for a meal for the both of them. "Hey, that smells good, what is it?" she asked snaking an arm around back to rest on his hip. She wasn't much shorter than him by about an inch.

"It's called Skillet Goulash…just tomatoes, regular onions and tomatoes and cheddar cheese mixed together with some salt n' pepper." Animal grinned, leaning his head to rest it against Maegyn; who snuggled in close. "It's a quick recipe when I don't want to eat out and don't really care to do much in the way of putting together a meal."

"You said tomatoes twice..." Maegyn grinned looking at Animal, then back at the simmering pile of ground beef, tomato, onion, cheese mix, sniffing the air appreciatively. "Yeah…you always seem to take the easy way out when it comes to cooking, but I'll admit that it smells good..." she gave him a light kiss on the lips, "You always sell yourself short on your culinary abilities. And considering the fact that I've eaten your home-cooked meals before…"

"I'd have to take a course to get better at it…I just learned enough to keep myself fed." Animal replied as he gave the mixture another vigorous stir with the spatula. Finding the right frying pan had been a nightmare until he'd asked Harm since he liked to cook, because he wanted to find one that would sear meat at the right temperature, but not burn it, sometimes the metal would get too hot and scorch the meat so the right frying pan that would heat the meat to the point where it would get properly cooked was necessary. Harm was a culinary genius when it came to cooking for himself, so Animal figured that he was the right person to ask about that sort of thing. "Got the frying pan from a professional cooking store…" the metallurgy that went into this sort of thing to get the perfect frying pan for cooking was absolute mystification. However Harm having cooked for himself for years and at what could be considered at a highly skilled level with the exception of his meatless meatloaf, was able to de-mystify the frying pan purchasing process for his friend. Animal was grateful for that as he now had a frying-pan that would work for the cooking that he planned to do. He actually now had several. The skillet that he was now using was a Le Creuset Signature Cast-Iron Deep Skillet with Splatter Screen that set him back almost three hundred dollars; it also made making an amount of dinner that would last three days and microwaveable a lot easier though he'd nearly balked at the price before hand. Harm though had grumbled about Animal cooking ground beef and whatever he was doing to his cholesterol levels before hand. "Y'know…Harm helped me get this frying pan…" he ventured as Maegyn sniffed the air again with a satisfied expression.

"Oh?"

"Yeah, Harm's a food connoisseur and he's a pretty capable cook, plus he uses some pretty expensive cooking gear." Animal said. "The last skillet I got from Lowes went into the garbage can because it kept scorching the meat that I used. I like to sear my steaks, I don't like it burned and crispy…" he grinned at Maegyn who laughed. "…so we went to Williams Sonoma and bought this thing. Nearly choked on the price though…damned near cost three hundred. That would have bought groceries for two weeks. I cook portions that last three days and allows me to budget carefully. I may make a Captain's salary, but if you're not careful, it doesn't last…" he said, noting silently that he'd have to make a call to his investment banker to put another payment on the 401K.

"Yeah…I know…I don't spend much, but it seems that we have to budget carefully." Maegyn said. "I budget a little spending money for deployment, but it seems that most of it gets shoved into the 401K. Have to save…" she opined as she looked around at the apartment that Animal had. It was comfy, a two-bedroom that they shared when she was back from deployment, because every leave she spent it with him. And Maegyn was approaching the end of her flying career as well. A CO tour and then a CAG tour then she'd have to hang up her wings…and fly a desk. And what she would do then, she thought as she looked around Animal's home. Her mind wandered wondering what it would be like to have a family to come home to. She had spent much of her career focusing on the flying, taking the physical enjoyment of being close to Animal when she could but realizing that time was fleeting. It was fun being Irish, the devil-may-care naval aviator that could hop into an F-14 and fly the great blue yonder. It was fun being able to one-up the males who thought that just because she was a woman that she was somehow less capable than them. That Navy Cross shut up a lot of uninformed opinionated people and it was satisfying to see them swallow their tongue when they realized just how capable she really was.

But she realized that her flying career was drawing to a close and as always, she understood that she had made a choice to pursue an avenue of career that left her without a family. Animal was great for a romp in the hay, once in a while, but she realized that he was growing up…now that he had been grounded. He had a career outside of flying, a career that would push his rising star up the Navy ladder. He had the staff position, and was poised for Rear Admiral if he played his cards right and he just might find himself back in a line position at a fleet command. But Animal had realized, she thought, that his flying career was over, something that he loved to do was gone, and her heart sympathized with that.

Animal had been a devil-may-care naval aviator too and they shared their love of flying, of being able to fly the Navy's best aircraft, the F-14A Tomcat. His prowess as a naval aviator had made him the recipient of his nation's highest honor that could be given to a military officer, but Maegyn knew that he had been stripped of his wings, sure he could still wear them, but he knew deep down in his heart that he was not going to be able to touch his hands to stick and throttle again…a trade-off that cost him greatly and it hurt him deeply; she could see it in his eyes every time he looked at her still being able to fly. But she also knew that he didn't resent her for it though he made jokes about it. She knew that he was bitter about not being able to fly, but it wasn't directed at the aviators that flew still, he just was bitter about not being able to be on the front lines with the men and women he respected; that he had served with for so long and that was something that he was going to have to work through.

She looked him over, the set of his shoulders as he switched off the stove and hefted the still hot skillet off the stove, setting it on top of a cork counter protector big enough protect the counter from scorching. Taking two plates from the kitchen shelf, he put a plateful on one plate then the other. Maegyn turned to help by getting the cutlery from the drawer.

She silently contemplated him as they ate their meal. Could she perhaps see a future with him? Maybe not raise a family with kids per se but to be able to come home to a loving husband; to be able to spend her life with him as they lived out the rest of their lives? Could that even be a possibility? Did he even think of her like that? And where the hell did these proprietary feelings towards Animal come from? She wondered as she marveled at the change in her own perceptions towards someone she had long considered as just a casual lover.

Kennedy Center Terrace Restaurant, Washington DC, 1900hrs.

Harm grinned as he looked over at Liandra's shocked face. "Harm, this is too much…" she stammered futilely as Harm guided her to the restaurant. The restaurant had a reputation for fine-dining and the high society of Washington DC came here for the concerts, but this year, the concert-hall was renovating so the restaurant had decided that casual dining was the order of the day, while there were no concerts to be had. This was one of the reasons why Harm had picked this opportunity to dine here. It was an opportunity to sample some high-society cuisine and at the same time not be picked on for a casual suit and tie by high-society snobs. Liandra was wearing a casual dress, as Harm informed her that it was a place that needed something other than jeans and a t-shirt. Harm knew that Lia did wonderful things to her Navy uniform, but in a dress she was something else.

As they were walking in, an advertisement for next year with the Tallis Scholars Renaissance Chamber Music group caught Harm's eye. He noted that he'd let Animal know about that concert so that he could attend. And there was also a Veteran's Benefit Concert by the National Symphony Orchestra.

As they waited to be seated, Harm turned to Lia and said. "They're renovating…that's one of the reasons why I wanted to come eat here. It's a chance to enjoy the food without having to stomach the stares from high-society. Every-time that there's a concert here, high-society comes out to be seen and they look at you funny if you're not wearing a tux…or an evening dress in your case." He paused for a moment. And if it's a special concert involving the military, then I have to get on my dinner dress whites – then I get mistaken for the waiter."

Lia laughed. "Ah, so there's a reason behind the dinner invitation…" her eyes twinkled in merriment. "…and not just a chance to spend some time with me?" coquettishly batting her eyelashes at him.

"Well…I did want to spend some time with you…" Harm grinned. "Surely my teasing didn't go un-noticed." He gradually grew a little braver, the start of a friendship was a minefield in which he didn't know where her sore points were and they were testing out the waters. "Seriously though, I like spending time with you."

"I'm glad…" Lia switched to a serious tone seeing the change in Harm's face. "I think a table's free now. Here comes the waiter." They were led to their table with a view of the Lincoln Memorial from the window, and Lia gazed out looking at it. "You served with Captain Nakamura…" she said after a long moment and Harm wondered why she was bringing it up… "You see, I have to work with him…and I don't want to be in a situation where I don't know who I'm dealing with…" she said looking at him.

"Maybe not for long…" Harm said. "There's been several changes in the works…"

"I know…and I do blame him for that…" Lia started to say. Harm looked at her inquisitively trying to figure out where she was coming from.

"Why?"

"Harm, you know that Admiral Chegwidden was my mentor. He wants me to work towards the judiciary…and that's my career path…" Lia replied. "As soon as I get my other half-stripe, I'm going to be on the bench. I don't know if whoever replaces him will see that I have a career path that I want to follow…so your friend…" she spat out. Harm really knew that she was venting, but the vehemence when she said your friend was worrying "…just blew my career path goals up for me and I resent him for that."

"Lia…"

"Wait…let me finish…" she held up a hand stopping him short. "I want to give him a chance to show that he's not the asshole I think he is." Harm's eyes widened at that; Lia was stepping dangerously close to disrespecting a senior officer. "But it's mainly for the sake of my career rather than…" she left the being able to work with him amicably silent, letting Harm infer her meaning which he did.

"You do know that just thinking it is one step from saying it…right?" Harm said in warning. "Don't let that slip…it could mean your career. And he's untouchable, after what he went through…in Korea."

Lia contemplated that for a long moment… "I know that he's been through hell, but that doesn't give him the right to go about destroying other people's careers, like he did the admiral's…"

"What makes you think that it was his call? He wrote the report, he submitted it to the CNO and SECNAV and the both of them made the decision. Or do you think that he should have just said no to the Chief of Naval Operations?" Harm's voice sounded incredulous though he looked at her sympathetically.

"Well, he could have made some objection…" Lia stammered, angry yet helpless in realizing that Harm had just articulated exactly what she had been thinking.

"Lia, I flew with the guy in Desert Storm with the Howlers. I know he has always been an outspoken officer. He wouldn't have quietly let this go, but the guy I know also values his career. He has probably made an objection and he probably let it know how he feels about the whole matter…but the decisions that were made are above Captain Nakamura's head and to openly question them and push the issue is career suicide." Harm said firmly. "He probably felt just as betrayed as Chegwidden did."

"Damn you, Harm…you're trying to make me like him…" Lia muttered caustically. "…why should I?"

"Because…he's always going to be around…" Harm said. "He's my flying buddy…and my flight leader and I can't forget that. He always made sure that I always got out of a tough scrape and there were times when I owed him my life. He's a damned good aviator; probably one of the best I've seen. But above all, he's been a friend for a long time and no matter what, I won't turn my back on him. I think that what he's had to do while with the Naval Inspector General has scarred him just as much as the report scarred the office." Lia looked like she was going to object to that but Harm raised his hand this time to stop her. "Look, Lia, I'm not trying to make you like him, but you have to understand that although he had to do some things that were distasteful to him in the NAVINSGEN report, he had to do as he was ordered to do, and it's probably hurt him as much as the report hurt us…"

Animal's Apartment, 503-4141 Henderson Road, Arlington, VA 1940hrs.

Animal made sure that the dishes were done and ready for their wash cycle with the dishwasher. A good solid purchase of a 1996 Kenmore dishwasher was the workhorse with the dishes, but a quick rinse of the dishes before putting the dishes in the dishwasher was a good procedure. Animal grinned to himself as he put the dishes in carefully and rolled the rack into the dishwasher and closed the door. The now rinsed dishes could sit there until such time as the dishwasher got full enough to do a load.

Maegyn sat on the couch relaxing reading the paper. He stopped at the end of the couch, thinking for a long moment how domestic that scene looked. Maegyn was a beautiful woman, her hair naturally red, her face was classic Irish with fair complexion and bright green eyes with a smile that made the room light up when she was happy. He contemplated how well Maegyn fit into his life, that it felt natural to have her sitting there in the living room and how he wished that this could be a constant. It felt great when she was here on leave and it felt almost like he had a family, a wife that he could come home to at the end of the day. Little did he know that Maegyn was thinking those same thoughts along the line of a husband.

"Hey…" Maegyn called when she noticed that he was just standing there looking for the entire world like he was thinking deep thoughts. "Come here…"

"OK…" he smiled at her as he walked around the end of the couch and came over to sit down beside her. She leaned into his embrace.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Maegyn said giving Animal an evil opportunity to pull off one of his famous pranks.

"I think so, sweetheart, but can the Gummi Worms really live in peace with the Marshmallow Chicks…" he said deadpan. The confusion on Maegyn's face caused Animal to burst out laughing.

"Jerk…" she said as she started laughing too. "I was trying to be serious…"

"Sorry, sweet…what did you want to ask me?" He relented as he wrapped his arms around Maegyn.

"Ever think of how domestic this really seems to be…?" Maegyn gestured looking around the room. "Us…this apartment, cooking…I love it when I'm on leave…" she said looking at him with longing. "It just seems like home…to me…"

Animal looked at her wondering if he wasn't reading enough into her words and hoping that he could tell her just how much he enjoyed spending time with her; that he wished that they could make it a permanent arrangement. "I'm glad that it seems like home to you. I want it to be a welcoming place…someplace where you can put up your feet and relax from the Navy."

"What I'm trying to say…is that…" Maegyn looked at him. "It's been on my mind…that I won't always be flying and that I'll need someplace to land and put my feet up. I need to think about my career post-flying…and what I want…is for that to be with someone who knows me…and really shares that history with me…"

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?" Animal met her eyes. "Is that what you want?"

"I know that I have an CO tour and a CAG tour probably then I'm at the end of my flying career." She said softly. "Then…with the choices that I've made in my career, it's going to be a lonely road if I don't make the right decisions…" Maegyn looked at Animal to gauge the reaction on his face. "I want to be able to come home to what I consider a home…with someone who I love and respect, someone that I know cherishes me for who I am." She reached out and caressed his arm. "Someone who knows what my passions are and shares my love for flying."

"You know, I've been thinking along the same lines…" Animal replied. "I've thought about being alone in my later years and that thought, believe me, isn't too appealing."

"The reason why I'm saying this is…" she paused for a long moment. For all the training that she'd had in naval aviation and being a naval aviator had taught her how to go after the target, this emotional thing was something she didn't have to deal with in her every day life. Sure, being in a relationship was a fun thing. Having a casual lover to romp in the hay with was also fun but baring one's soul and fears was something else. To go from casual lovers to in a serious relationship was something that she hadn't planned to do until the introspection had led her down that path. But could they make it work? "What would you say…if I told you that…" she paused for such a long moment that Animal thought she had lost her train of thought.

"…if you told me what…" he prompted her.

"…if we could make a go of this…" she gestured around the room as if to take in the whole apartment.

"You mean…" his eyes grew wider as he digested the meaning of her words.

"…together…"

The Terrace, Kennedy Center Terrace Restaurant, Washington DC, 1950hrs;

Harm looked at Lia as she contemplated the Lincoln Memorial from the distance as they walked the terrace after dinner. "You know…a man once said…nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Lia looked at him curiously.

"So who was that man?" Lia asked. Harm silently pointed towards the Memorial. "Abraham Lincoln?" and Harm nodded.

"Understand, that Captain Nakamura wasn't given power to wield against JAG, he was ordered to assess the reason why the JAG office was stagnated, he assessed the situation dispassionately and gave him the report, and the ones who actually had the power utilized it to effect changes." Harm explained as he gazed upon the Lincoln Memorial. "And Lincoln was right. The ones who have the power usually fall short. But make no mistake, Captain Nakamura didn't have power at all…he just did as he had to under orders from the SECNAV." He shivered for a moment as a brief wind assailed them from the Hudson River. "C'mon, it's getting chilly. Let's go…"


Author's Note: I hate my plot bunnies. Now I got Animal/Maegyn paired off…instead of Animal/Lia. This is going to be more of a headache than I thought… But at least they gave up on waking me up at 4AM in the morning to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment